I am, as a whole person,
spirit, soul, and body. My spirit is forever young; it is eternal and therefore
never grows old and weary. My soul as in my mind, will, and emotions, has one
“foot” in the eternal as I interact with my spirit, and the other “foot”, in
the natural, as I interact with my body and natural world around me. I do see
the aging process in my body and soul and I do see the eternal never-grow-old
life through my spirit. My body, he knows the passage of time. He lives it out
from growth to maturity to the failing of physical abilities.
No wonder my soul is “being
saved”, a continuous process. He is caught between two worlds but lives one
life. I have learned to nurture my wonderfully complex soul. My mind, will, and
emotions are much more content when they are under the nurture of my spirit. To
me Luke 9:23-24 is more about denying “self” as in soul and body by daily
nurturing them in the outrageous and amazing love of God. Holy Spirit is my
daily mentor in this. His love bestows the worth and value of the Godhead or
trinity on my life and in turn I experience worth and value in all areas of who
I “be”. I then, out of the fullness of worth and value derived from this
outrageous love can participate in sharing this with others.
As a person who has come
from addiction recovery and the shame that directed my life for years I now
find myself defined not by an addictive lifestyle, full of guilt and shame, but
by the worth and value ascribed to me through God’s sacrificial love. I am a “being”
before I am a “doing”. I will be this type of love and out of that fullness of
being the doing is released. One of the
plumb lines in my life now is this;
Is what I am saying and
doing done in love? Does it ascribe unsurpassable worth to others? Does it
increase in others an ability to ascribe that same love to those they are in
relationship with?
I have applied this to my
own life as, through God’s mentoring in my life, I have had unsurpassable love
ascribed to all areas of who I am. As a spiritual life first I have taken on
the task of nurturing my mind and will and emotions. Holy Spirit has mentored
me as a spirit life to do this nurturing to the other important and vital parts
of who I am. My parts can’t live separate of each other, but they can be
defined separately for the purpose of function. My whole personhood benefits
for this. A well nurtured soul will recognize eventually that there is no
better place to live than at the place where I deny myself, pick up my cross
and follow Christ. This is the path of ascribing love and worth. A well nurtured soul reaps the benefits of
unsurpassable love; and is smart enough to eventually participate as a willing
partner as more and more areas of the soul are touched by this nurturing.
Comments
Post a Comment