Skip to main content

The choicest seed- journal entry


I’ve got a couple things going on that I want to process by journaling. The last few months have been bad for finding work.  I have been doing a little here and there but it had not been enough to cover the bills that need to be paid regularly.  At the same time I have been walking out faith and what that looks like every day. There has been a radical change in who I am and the way I handle life in general.  I am a spiritual man first. I was created by God as such and I live my spiritual life as the primary life that I have.  It is through being a spiritual person- literally that I can bring to my life the resources needed to nurture all other parts of me.  Since I am created in God’s image and one of the aspects of God is that He is triune by His very nature, then so am I. He is Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  I am Spirit, Soul, and Body. I have been given charge to nurture my soul and body just as Adam was given charge to subdue and rule over the earth and all the creatures of it.
Sidelight- Genesis 1.29 from this verse I see that the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was not a tree that reproduced on its own.  It had no seed in itself. It had no fruit that contained seed. Every seed bearing plant and fruit bearing tree with seed in it was given over for Adam to eat.  The tree of the knowledge of good and evil Adam could not eat of. Therefore it was not seed producing. It’s fruit Would have had no seed in it. All other plants had a way to reproduce. When Adam would eat of them the seed would die and then sprout to reproduce; the fruit would give Adam’s physical body sustenance. This principle or law from the very beginning of time was put in place to illustrate the plan of God’s salvation of a world made in his image but in need of redemption. Since He is eternal he knew before His creation that this was to be and therefore from what we know as the beginning of creation (since we are living in a temporal or tangible realm we recognize the passage of time with beginnings and endings), He put into place the seed-must-die-first-before-new-life-is-brought-forth truth in His creation of fruit bearing trees and fruit bearing plants. The physical food that Adamkind (Adam and Eve still in one physical body) would need for their body was self perpetuating through the seed bearing.
So when God gave Adam the tour of Eden he only pointed out one specific tree whose fruit could not be eaten; the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil. Complete freedom to partake of everything in Eden except that one tree. By implication from verse 1.29 of Genesis this tree does not produce seed.  It does not produce fruit with seed in it. If it did then it would have been given over for Adam to eat. God’s instruction was very clear to Adam, “every seed-bearing plant and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. What an amazing array of food was at Adams disposal! All of it was self perpetuating, it had seed to die and grow and continue to multiply itself as Adam multiplied on the face of the earth, as He ruled and subdued the creation with generational vision and life he was assured of God’s continued provision of food through plants and trees. They had the ability to reproduce through their own seed.
The TOTKOG&E (tree of the knowledge of good and evil) had no such ability. Get this; if it had been a seed producing tree then it would be on the menu for Adam to eat. He could eat it and it would have the ability to self perpetuate through it’s own seed. But, it was specifically off the menu. From what we know of God’s specific instructions then it was not seed producer. Why is this so important? It had no way to reproduce itself. No seed. No Seed. No seed. God did not want the fruit of TOTKOG&E to be reproduced. That one tree was there as a testament to the free will that Adam had to worship and follow the One in whose image Adam was created in. There’s a lot in that statement alone that could be said. 
The important fact is this; the TOTKOG&E could not produce seed, could not replicate itself by itself, and had no means to multiply. This was Gods intention for this tree. Gen. 1.31- “God saw all He hade made and it was very good.” It was good just as it was. Now I’m not saying that a tree has the ability to think, but this tree, remember it’s name,” The tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil”, found a way to get seed. Satan, through the serpent, met the tree’s need to reproduce and met his (Satan’s own need) to destroy God’s Seed before it could completely reproduce more and more “Images of God” by tricking the Adam into eating the fruit of the TOTKOG&E. It is God who meets any and all of our needs; all that we need is found in Him. Satan desired to “be like God”. He used the need that the tree had to reproduce itself (the knowledge of good and evil always has a need to reproduce itself) and combined it with a suggested need that Adam could be like God (this was Satan’s desire, not Adams) and placed doubt in Adam's heart to separate him from God.
Satan used the seed of Adam to begin the reproduction process of the TOTKOG&E. God’s made-in-His-image creation was tainted with the seedless fruit of the TOTKOG&E. Eden was bathed in God’s presence before this happened. But now, from within His very creation, death had been placed upon Adam’s seed. Adam’s seed must die and the TOTKOG&E would be reproduced in the world (a seed must die to reproduce). God’s presence was being lifted and his creation was left naked and exposed. The trees that had provided food for them they now used for covering. They immediately retuned to God’s provision, trees whose fruit produced seed, but they only found relief from being exposed by covering themselves with leaves, not eating of their fruit. Adam’s seed was tainted with another’s desire. All Eden was set up to reproduce God’s creation for generations with only the TOTKOG&E being left alone as non-producing, with a fruit that was not fit for food.  Fruit with no seed of it’s own. Now it has the choicest seed, the seed of man, the seed of one created in the image of god, to reproduce it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full Grace/Truth

John 1:14NIV  The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. I am unpacking so much from this one verse that I''ll be spending several weeks integrating it into who I am. Here's some first thoughts... Jesus did not meet us half way. He fully became us. He came so we could fully know him and he could fully know the living environment of humanity. He lived in this created world, he lived within the limits of time and space. Eternal Triune Creator God placed limits on himself. He didn't arrive here to make Christians. He arrived here to make relationships. To know us, and for us to know him (as in intimately). God recognizes experiential knowledge as greater than "head knowledge". When I am mentored and learn and then live what I learned it is integrated into me, experienced. The Word made his dwelling here to be integrated into humanity. The W...

Keeping it simple

Unseen Playwright Two characters struggle to take center stage. The Antagonist and the Protagonist. Fear and Grace. It's a pitched battle written by an unseen playwright. It's always a three part play. Scene one begins with the two main characters struggling to give understanding to the framework of life; rules and regulations that are in place to provide structure and stability. Vital elements for growth and formation. Scene one is played out in front of a background of rules. The transition into scene two is about wondering if there's more. The great question looms about what life is like outside of the framework that has been set in place. Both Fear and Grace give us their take on Life that has trapped us and there must be more. Structure and framework are abandoned for freedom to discover and explore. They go their separate ways. Yet, both self critique, which leads to self correction. One corrects into worshiping the rules and regulations. The other corrects b...

Intentional Identity

My life is lived in tension between my identity that Triune knitted into me and the temporal daily life I experience with it's pressures and uncertainties. In the past I've looked at these two tensions as if they were having a "tug o war" in my life and I was the rope. Sometimes feeling as if I was stretched past my ability to endure. I now see this tension as not pulling, but pushing against each other to see who will establish the best foothold. The tension I experience is the pressure of the push. Spiritual warfare where I am both the battlefield and the prize. I am the spoils of war in the enemy's eyes. I am a son to be redeemed in PapaGod's heart.  When I am intentional to daily read and deeply agree with my identity statement (a statement crafted to state the very essence of who God says I am as a unique son of His) then I find strength to be who I am identified to be.  My life as that identified son will not only push the temporal daily uncertainties ...