Three
freedoms that we can have. As we live out sexual integrity and
we minister to other's sexual integrity, these three freedoms become part of
our lifestyle.
I
use a simple way to define where I live life from. I look at the choice
Adamkind had in the Garden of Eden and, for me, it helps define where my life
is being lived from. The two trees in the center of the garden were, “The tree
of life” and “the tree of the knowledge of good and evil” (TOTKOG&E). For me these
freedoms come from living from the tree of life which is embodied in Jesus
Christ. It's life at the cross. The place where Triune's mercy swallowed up
shame. I lived life from the other tree for decades, gaining knowledge and
learning to judge myself, others, and situations based on this knowledge alone.
Using it as a cloak to hide the deep shame I had from a hidden, broken life.
Living
from the TOTKOG&E I lived by my appearance being changed from the outside,
adorning myself with a certain persona, but it never quite reached into the
deepest parts of me.
Living
from the Tree of Life, my changes begin from within and emerged out. The
deepest part of my life going through transformation to this very day.
Freedom
from performance
I
am defined by one thing-- the cross.
Christ
uncovered the full depth of my sin and the full horror of God's judgment of my
sin at the cross. All of God's righteous judgement and all of God's love met at the cross. It
is because of this I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. This is who I
am. God has bestowed upon me unsurpassed value and worth. There is no
performance based activity that could add any more to who I am. When leading
other men into healing of sexual brokenness this is a core value I live out and
impart. When I lived my life not knowing that it is God's unsurpassable worth
that defined me then I had to perform to have worth. But in Christ, in Him who gave all, I have
this amazing gift of worth that cannot be added to and cannot be taken from me.
Each
leader has an opportunity to create a community that embodies this.
Paul's
advice to the people of the Galation church spells it out-
Gal.
5.6
NIV-
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor
uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith
expressing itself through love.
Message-
For in Christ, neither our most conscientious
religion nor disregard of religion amounts to anything. What matters is
something far more interior: faith expressed in love.
Freedom
from hiding
I
know this about myself. The depraved life I lived was so great that Jesus had
to die to pay the price I owed for that life. I also know that the brokenness
that still is being worked on in my life demands the same payment. Jesus covered my tab on this. All I owe is reconciled. One of the
big differences between the past life I lived and the way I live now is that I
don't need to hide this brokenness with my knowledge of the bible, my "great
personality", my seemingly loving way with people.
When
performance is dropped, the members of a community get to know the best and the
worst about each other. When shame is
swallowed up by mercy there is no longer a need to hide. Freedom from
performance, the first freedom I mentioned, allows me to step into this. In my
past life I appeared as “the Great and Powerful wizard of Oz” all the while
hiding behind the curtain living my life in a little cubicle frantically
pulling levers and pushing buttons to keep everyone’s attention on the image of
my own making. I had this frantic skill perfected.... and I was always worn out
from the effort.
God
was the first to be vulnerable; He tore the dividing curtain of the temple from
top to bottom when Jesus died on the cross.
Please, read that again. Let it sink in... God was vulnerable first... His presence could no longer be contained in an ark. I can do the same. Since who I am is defined by Triune God, I have come out of hiding. I have learned that my life is much bigger than the cubicle I hid in for decades. My very life has become a “place of meeting” where I encounter Triune God and always have the opportunity to come away changed by the encounter.
Please, read that again. Let it sink in... God was vulnerable first... His presence could no longer be contained in an ark. I can do the same. Since who I am is defined by Triune God, I have come out of hiding. I have learned that my life is much bigger than the cubicle I hid in for decades. My very life has become a “place of meeting” where I encounter Triune God and always have the opportunity to come away changed by the encounter.
Freedom
to heal
When
freedom from performance is realized and freedom from hiding is lived out then
there is an opportunity to have freedom to heal. Opportunity means it's not automatic. Opportunity means I'm given a choice to act upon.
A community where performance and hiding have
ceased is a place to heal. Emotional wounds that are concealed, can never be
healed. Once I feel safe enough to reveal my innermost pain I am able to deal
with it. But it requires a place that is free from judgment. If a collective
group's life is dominated by living from the TOTKOG&E then the members of
that group will be inclined to live in performance mode, not daring to be
vulnerable enough to risk exposing their shame.
Members
may even appear to be getting better, but their performance is just being
stepped up to keep who they think they are, in hiding. It can be a place of
festering instead of healing. As leaders we carry into our ministry community
the value of unconditional love first, opening men up to the Tree of Life, to
God who bestows his unsurpassable value and worth upon all of us. It looks like
this; we are the first ones to share our “scary stuff”. Raw vulnerability is
reciprocated. Unconditional love is our
first value. In my life, all ministry is defined by this. It gives freedom to heal.
These
are both some initial steps in healing and continuing steps to a sustaining the
intimate life with Triune God we are designed to live. I ask myself regularly;
Am I hiding. Am I performing. I am giving myself an opportunity to continue the
healing. I ask my closest friends, the persons who I can share my “big scary”
stuff with to ask this of me too. As important as these are in my life, if they
are not done in community, they cannot be sustained. Wounds in life drive us to
be solitary. A solitary life makes it easier to cover up the shame brought on
by wounds and sin. At the same time, we were “knitted together” by God with relationship
with others as a healthy need in our lives.
Here’s the big push- trying to live a solitary life in a life that demands relationship. Every form of sexual compulsion has this at it’s core- It’s an attempt to meet the need for relationship/intimacy in ways that do not expose us to others. The cure is the antithesis of this lifestyle; vulnerable relationship with another person.
Here’s the big push- trying to live a solitary life in a life that demands relationship. Every form of sexual compulsion has this at it’s core- It’s an attempt to meet the need for relationship/intimacy in ways that do not expose us to others. The cure is the antithesis of this lifestyle; vulnerable relationship with another person.
As
sexual integrity leaders we can create this community, this space for
vulnerability, so others may be free from performance and hiding and
free to heal. We “create” this by living this in our lives. Our first
calling is to walk these steps out. Our most powerful lesson taught is by being
examples.
This is so good man.Really identified and minstered to me.Thank you Rocky for your willingness to be transparent and walk in the light.You are changing the world every single day!
ReplyDeleteThanks my friend. This is the year when you find your "niche". A space that's carved out just for who you are. A place where Jesus in you is personified in your life like never before. Figuratively speaking, You will find a church wall torn down and that will be your platform of ministry.
Delete