The political
climate is crazy. There's so much to talk about. I can easily be angry. I so
want to post a meme or spout off about a number of events!! But yet, I am
constrained by my own credo-
"Is what
I am about to say or do done in love? Does it ascribe unsurpassable worth to
others? Does it increase in others an ability to ascribe that same love to
those they are in relationship with?"
In Mark 3
Jesus met a man with a shriveled hand. This man was not born with a shriveled
hand. The original Greek word is a verb, it became shriveled. In the course of
living his hand lost function and was of no use anymore.
He asked the
law keepers and law makers, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath, to do good or to
do evil?” They remained silent. (because in their understanding of the law to
do anything on the Sabbath was to do evil, therefore doing good on the Sabbath
was also doing evil, this question was either rhetorical or a conundrum) It is
said Jesus looked around at them in anger, and deeply distressed at their
stubborn hearts, said to the man, “stretch out your hand.” He stretched out his
hand and it was completely restored. Restored as in reconstituted to it's
former healthy state.
Even with
anger in his heart He acted in love, He ascribed his own unsurpassable worth to
another which brought restoration. He did it knowing that this act of restoring
another would be used against him.
It is my hope
that I can follow in the path of my Savior. When I see a shriveled hand, a
person who has lost the use of some part of their life, I pray I do not call
them out for their failings. If I encounter those who would call me out for
embracing another who may be considered a foe or politically wrong and I my
anger rises up, then may my act of ascribing unsurpassable love hold the hope
of restoration instead of another person's destruction.
I, too, have
a shriveled hand in both known and unknown areas of my life. I, too, desire
restoration of those areas before they call out another's weakness in an
attempt to divert attention from myself. May all I do and say be done in the
unsurpassable love of Triune God!

Comments
Post a Comment