Depression and panic
What does grace look like for me during this time?
- My vulnerability is met with kindness, affirmation, encouragement.
- Uncovering the "big scary" in my life takes away its power to control me by exposing it to the living light of love.
- Grace leads me to embrace who I am as a hand-crafted image carrier of Triune God instead of letting the depth of darkness define these moments in my life.
- Grace opens the door in my life for encouragement, unfettered love, acts of kindness to come in and flood a life that is parched with desperation.
- From those who have been in this place to those who have never experienced depression I am given prayer, encouragement, care, concern, hope, reciprocated vulnerability. These are building a breakwater, a harbor of safety, from the onslaught.
- The guys I do life with jumped into action, without hesitation. They know the path and we walk it together.
- I was surprised by a phone call from a longtime friend and mentor who did not know I was experiencing depression. God moments like that cannot be scripted.
- My wife, and best friend is understanding. She has seen it all for 40 years and walks in deep connection with her "Abba-Father".
- The weeping is less, I have hope within reach. I'm intentional about using recovery disciplines to walk into this, through this, and out the other side. Journaling, phone calls, and not beating myself up with the lie about how defective I am are included in those disciplines.
Abbreviated Backstory----
A person who has had experience with depression/anxiety may
see this and know in their heart that what I'm sharing about (coming out of a
deep depression) is too quick and too "easy".
But.... I started psychiatric care at 10
years of age. Counseling and meds for most of my life until 4-5 years ago.
Since I am an addiction recoverer I am taking the same disciplines I learned in
recovery and am intentional about recovering from depression too. Triune (my name for God) honored my "efforts" by
bestowing an amazing gift to me in June of 2013. He declared healing from
depression in my life with this statement;
"Rocky, you have more value and worth to me than you
realize. I am going to show you your value until you understand."
I then experienced an embrace from Papagod that couldn't be
seen physically but was felt internally in ways that are inexplicable with
words. These encounters happened periodically for several months. Each time the
depth of who I am was revealed a little more. June 2013 the message I heard was that I am
healed of depression. Since I had tried to get off meds numerous times in my
life (with failed results and my wife dealing with the aftermath) I shared with
her this message about healing. I wouldn't get off meds without a confirmation
from my wife. She agreed with this healing and the process of stopping meds took place
and I've had over four years of no depression.
So, what is this current depression all about? I can only
answer with my experience and with the truth and grace of God. This came into
my life three days ago but there are no footholds in my life where this can
plant itself and stay. I am a different person at the very core of my identity compared to when I dealt with depression before.
The initial onslaught was a major surprise that toppled me over. I am energized
with this scripture;
- 2 Corinthians 12: 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Inner strength rises to meet the challenges of inner
turmoil. This inner strength that is arising is "the power of
Christ"!
The power of Christ infiltrates through my weakness and
rests upon my life! My contentment is found there, in His resting power.
Contentment becomes a peaceful dwelling place of satisfaction. A life of contentment
doesn't sound all that glamorous, it doesn't mix with our culture of going
after success with all we have but, in essence, it is our garden in Eden, where
we can rest with Triune. If the vast expanse of my inner life is filled with
contentment then there is nothing there to attract depression. There is nothing
there to give room to overwhelming disappointments. Contentment in the context
of this scripture has its place in my weak places where God's grace lives,
where Christ's power rests. I love that His power "rests" upon my
life. Rest also means “makes his home” so His power makes its home upon me!

Comments
Post a Comment