Skip to main content

"Intrinsic Truth"

2 Timothy 2:15 (ERV)Do your best to be the kind of person God will accept, and give yourself to him. Be a worker who has no reason to be ashamed of his work, one who applies the true teaching in the right way.

Meditating on the Word is about studying the Word by taking in the word until I understand it, until I know it's intent. It must start with intrinsic understanding-what is being said? What truth is being revealed within these words? What is essential within this that I am studying? This is a humble process for me. I lay down my tendency to interpret based on egocentric truisms. I then reflect on the Word so I see myself in perspective to it- I must come to the humble-of-heart place where I am determined to hear what it has to say, not what I want it to say. How deeply do I allow truth into my life? 

With intrinsic understanding I may then see it, experience it, in extrinsic ways. When talking with friends, their feedback will reflect perspective back to me. Life situations will help define it. Life happens, truths become more self evident.

I've found in the past that I would see a part of truth in the word, become energized, even ecstatic over it, and it would be a momentary passion that did not transform me. I lived from one “feel good” moment to the next. Within me there was a sense that there must be...more! I want life transforming truth. God's truth is active, not static. It isn't just sitting on a page in the Bible. God's truth is active and alive (embodied in Christ, the living Word). It has, and always will have transforming action. To desire transforming truth is to recognize that the truth will transform all that it interacts with. How deeply do I allow truth into who I am? The depth of my vulnerability, in much part, determines the depth of transformation that takes place in me. I desire the truth intrinsically understood first becoming the essential truth understood and experienced with a depth of vulnerability that produces transformation.


I'm beginning to get this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full Grace/Truth

John 1:14NIV  The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. I am unpacking so much from this one verse that I''ll be spending several weeks integrating it into who I am. Here's some first thoughts... Jesus did not meet us half way. He fully became us. He came so we could fully know him and he could fully know the living environment of humanity. He lived in this created world, he lived within the limits of time and space. Eternal Triune Creator God placed limits on himself. He didn't arrive here to make Christians. He arrived here to make relationships. To know us, and for us to know him (as in intimately). God recognizes experiential knowledge as greater than "head knowledge". When I am mentored and learn and then live what I learned it is integrated into me, experienced. The Word made his dwelling here to be integrated into humanity. The W...

Keeping it simple

Unseen Playwright Two characters struggle to take center stage. The Antagonist and the Protagonist. Fear and Grace. It's a pitched battle written by an unseen playwright. It's always a three part play. Scene one begins with the two main characters struggling to give understanding to the framework of life; rules and regulations that are in place to provide structure and stability. Vital elements for growth and formation. Scene one is played out in front of a background of rules. The transition into scene two is about wondering if there's more. The great question looms about what life is like outside of the framework that has been set in place. Both Fear and Grace give us their take on Life that has trapped us and there must be more. Structure and framework are abandoned for freedom to discover and explore. They go their separate ways. Yet, both self critique, which leads to self correction. One corrects into worshiping the rules and regulations. The other corrects b...

Intentional Identity

My life is lived in tension between my identity that Triune knitted into me and the temporal daily life I experience with it's pressures and uncertainties. In the past I've looked at these two tensions as if they were having a "tug o war" in my life and I was the rope. Sometimes feeling as if I was stretched past my ability to endure. I now see this tension as not pulling, but pushing against each other to see who will establish the best foothold. The tension I experience is the pressure of the push. Spiritual warfare where I am both the battlefield and the prize. I am the spoils of war in the enemy's eyes. I am a son to be redeemed in PapaGod's heart.  When I am intentional to daily read and deeply agree with my identity statement (a statement crafted to state the very essence of who God says I am as a unique son of His) then I find strength to be who I am identified to be.  My life as that identified son will not only push the temporal daily uncertainties ...